According to a Keck School of Medicine of USC-led study, Vitamin D deficiency in pregnant women could pre-programme babies to grow into obese children and adults.
Researchers found that 6-year-olds born to mothers with very low vitamin D levels during their first trimester had bigger waists - about half an inch plumper on average - than peers whose mothers had enough vitamin D in early pregnancy. These kids also had 2 percent more body fat.
A newborn's vitamin D status mostly depends on mom. So infants are at risk of vitamin D deficiency if their mothers are vitamin D deficient or are close to it.
About 95 percent of the vitamin D produced in your body comes from sunshine. The remaining 5 percent is derived from eggs, fatty fish, fish liver oil and fortified foods such as milk, cheese, yogurt and cereal.
The federal government has not set a recommended daily intake of vitamin D, though many agree the dietary intake of the vitamin should increase with age.
|Ministry proposes declaration of 2019 as International Millets Year|
|Protein solution to make a cream cheese in minutes|
|Matrix Partners India invests in women health brand|
|FSSAI receives approval to generate 493 new posts|
|Reproduction in whole or in part in
any form or medium without
written permission is prohibited..